Health services of Turkey is controlled by the Ministry of Health via a central government system. In 2003, the Turkish Government introduced the health care reform program which aims to increase the budget range allocated to health services to make a large portion of population healthy. Turkey Statistical Institution announced that 76.3 billion Turkish liras is spent in 2012 within the scope of health services. According to 2013's reports there are 30.116 health institutes and 573 patients per doctor on average. Furthermore the number of beds each 1000 people is 2.64.
Strengths of Turkey on Medical Tourism
- The most important advantage of Turkey on medical tourism is having an institution which coordianates all tourism workings ( SATURK) and having a state policy has been developed.
- Having a national airline company as THY, that has access from the utmost number of flight points in the world.
- Being a regional leader in infrastructure of Training and Research Hospital because a considerable part of health institutions has come to the level that can compete with the West in terms of technological infrastructure.
- Ranking in the second place in the world in terms of number of accredited hospital with JCI.
- Having many the theme of health available thermal sources and ranking in the first place in Europe in terms of number of available thermal source.
- The existence of a positive image on Turkey in some countries.
- Suitable climate spreads over the 4 seasons.
- Being the historical and tourist center of civilizations.
- Having three hours flight distance to the population of one billion people.
- Having the serious potential of the workforce with young population.
- The existence of quality human resources especially specialized in medical staff.
- Health services in Turkey is more economic than other advanced countries.